SHARE A MEAL SHARE A STORY
Jacky, one of our Bicultural Support Workers has sent in this recipe for FRIED CASSAVA. It is her dads favourite recipe. When he used to study away from home at University in Burundi, Jacky would cook it for him every time he came home.
Yield: 4 servings
• 4 large cassava, peeled and chopped into large chunks
• flavourless oil, for frying
• salt and black pepper, for seasoning
1. Cut peeled cassava into 4-inch pieces
2. Add the cassava to a pot with salted water then bring to a boil until tender, (around 20 minutes)
3. Drain and allow cooked cassava to cool.
4. Heat the oil in a large, heavy deep pan until smoking hot, and then, working in batches, fry cassava pieces until they turn colour to golden brown.
5. Remove fried cassava from hot oil and lay each batch on kitchen paper to soak up excess oil, then season with black pepper.
6. Serve with grilled meat or chicken and lots of spicy hot sauce.
If you have a recipe you would like to share please send it to us via PM